Deasey, Mahoney, Valentini & North’s labor law and employment law attorneys provide knowledgeable counseling and aggressive defense of public and private employers and insurers. We have handled hundreds of employment matters in state and federal courts throughout the United States, as well as in alternative dispute resolution settings. In addition to litigation and strategic counseling, Deasey, Mahoney, Valentini & North employment attorneys represent employers during administrative proceedings, including those before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission and the New Jersey Civil Rights Administration.
Our employment and labor law capabilities range from wrongful termination and retaliation to religious discrimination to collective bargaining. To minimize employers’ exposure risks, we also counsel clients regarding compliance with state, federal and industry regulations; personnel policies and procedures; employee manuals; employee health and safety; immigration issues; and awareness training, among other concerns.
Deasey, Mahoney, Valentini & North’s labor law and employment law specialties include:
• Age Discrimination
• Age Discrimination in Employment Act
• Americans with Disabilities Act
• Covenants Not to Compete
• Equal Pay Act
• Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
• Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
• Gender Discrimination
• Internet and E-mail Usage
• Invasion of Privacy, Defamation and Tortious Interference with Contract Claims
• Managerial and Employee Training
• National Origin Discrimination
• New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act (Whistleblower Act)
• New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (LAD)
• Pennsylvania Human Relations Act
• Pregnancy Discrimination
• Race Discrimination
• Rehabilitation Act
• Religious Discrimination
• Sexual Harassment and Hostile Work Environment
• Sexual Orientation Discrimination
• Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
• Union Negotiations and Collective Bargaining
• Whistle Blowing and Retaliation
• Workplace Privacy
• Workplace Violence
• Wrongful Termination
Clients of Deasey, Mahoney, Valentini & North also benefit from our litigators’ collective experience in a variety of additional practice areas such as governmental liability, professional liability, appellate, civil rights and immigration reform. Deasey, Mahoney, Valentini & North attorneys bring their combined experience to bear in shaping effective, cost-efficient solutions for our clients. For each matter we handle, senior litigators provide personal attention during all phases of representation and deliver exceptional, responsive service at a reasonable cost. In short we strive to craft and deliver a superior product.
Should your organization be in need of sound legal services, please do not hesitate to contact us at your earliest convenience. We look forward to serving you.
Deasey, Mahoney, Valentini & North maintains offices in Center City Philadelphia, Media, PA and Haddonfield, N.J. Our lawyers are active litigators throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Delaware and beyond. We are proud of our outstanding reputation and record.
Related News and Events:
- Carla Maresca to speak at the 2012 Claims & Litigation Management Alliance Conference
December 22, 2011
Ms. Carla Maresca , Attorney Deasey Mahoney Valentini & North, Ltd., Ms.Maresca has been selected to speak at the 2012 Annual Conference of the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM.) Ms. Maresca is slated to speak on the topic of Employment Liability – Public and Private Entities: Case Evaluation and Claims Handling.
- Employers' Ever Increasing Obligation to Engage in the Interactive Process Under the ADA
By: Carla Maresca and Rufus Jennings
Recently, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania rendered a decision that serves as a reminder to employers of their obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to engage in an interactive process with employees who claim to have disabilities.
- Carla Maresca & Sheryl Brown Get Published in Litigation Management Magazine--Hearing or No Hearing: Legal Requirements for Disciplining Union Employees
September 1, 2011
- 2011 DMVN Super Lawyers-Frank Deasey, Jane North, Carla Maresca & Athena Pappas
June 3, 2011
Deasey Mahoney Valentini & North is proud to announce that three of its attorneys have been selected as Super Lawyers by Philadelphia Magazine.
- Schmidt v. Creedon: Third Circuit Re-Affirms the Need for Pre-Suspension Hearings for Borough Police Officers
By: Carla P. Maresca and Sheryl L. Brown
On March 29, 2011, the Third Circuit re-affirmed the prior holdings of Dee v. Borough of Dunmore, 549 F.3d 225 (3rd Cir. 2008), that absent extraordinary circumstances, a borough police office can not be suspended without pay unless a pre-suspension hearing has taken place. Schmidt v. Creedon, Nos. 09-2051 and 10-1633 (3rd Cir. March 29, 2011).
- Supreme Court Announces Employers are Liable to Third-Parties under Title VII
By: John Morgenstern and Rufus A. Jennings
On January 24, 2011, the Supreme Court rendered its decision in Thompson v. North American Stainless, LP, 2011 U.S. LEXIS 913 (January 24, 2011). In that decision, Justice Scalia held, for the first time, that an individual who has not engaged in any activity that would ordinarily be considered “protected” under Title VII still may maintain a claim under Title VII’s anti-retaliation provision as an “aggrieved person.”
- Deasey, Mahoney, Valentini & North, Ltd. has been selected for inclusion in Best's Directories of Recommended Insurance Attorneys and Adjusters.
July 1, 2010
Deasey, Mahoney, Valentini & North, Ltd. has been selected for inclusion in Best's Directories of Recommended Insurance Attorneys and Adjusters.
- Carla Maresca presented Employee Rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act for the Bucks Montgomery Human Resources Consortium and the Delaware Valley Insurance Trust.
June 11, 2010
Carla Maresca presented Employee Rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act for the Bucks Montgomery Human Resources Consortium and the Delaware Valley Insurance Trust.
- Six attorneys at Deasey Mahoney Valentini & North selected as SuperLawyers and SuperLawyers-Rising Stars.
June 1, 2010
Deasey Mahoney Valentini & North is proud to announce that two of its shareholders have been selected as Super Lawyers by Philadelphia Magazine. Super Lawyers selects attorneys using a rigorous, multiphase process.
- Jane North and Carla Maresca Invited to Speak at the CLM Annual Conference
March 26, 2010
Jane North and Carla Maresca were invited to speak at the annual conference sponsored by the Council on Litigation Management.
- Carla Maresca Presented Employment Law CLE At The 15th Annual Employment Law Institute
April 15, 2009
Carla Maresca served on the Pennsylvania Bar Institute faculty for her second year. Carla presented a CLE course, Crisis Management: What Do You Do When Managers Depart From Personnel Policies and Standard Operating Procedures, on Wednesday, April 15, 2009, at the 15th Annual Employment Law Institute.
- Carla Maresca Taught Civil Rights CLE At 13th Annual Employment Law Institute
April 10, 2007
We are pleased to announce that Carla Maresca was accepted to the Pennsylvania Bar Institute faculty.